W36M Commercial Walk-Behind Mower
- John Deere
- Walk Behind Mowers
Find a location to get your local store information and inventory.
Your Preferred StoreChange location Change location
Key Features & Specs
- 36-inch (91-cm) floating mower deck
- Smooth-running, 14.5 hp (10.8 kW) V-twin engine
- Self-propelled hydrostatic drive system
- Easy-to-use controls for operator comfort and convenience
- HP* 14.5 hp (10.8 kW)
- Deck 36"
- Starter Recoil
- Forward Transport Speed 0-6.5 mph
- + Expand All
- - Close All
Serviceability features and 2-year, bumper-to-bumper warranty maximize uptime
2-YEAR BUMPER-TO-BUMPER WARRANTY
John Deere warranty includes:
- Single source
- 24-month coverage
- Unlimited hours of use
- Commercial application
All parts, except tires and batteries (which are warranted under separate documents provided with each product), are warranted
ENGINE SERVICEEngine service points, W48R engine shown Engine cleanout port covers and air filter removed, W61R shown
Engine service points are easy to reach:
- Oil drain tubes are provided to reduce oil spills and mess.
- Cleanout ports make inspecting and cleaning engine cooling fins easy.
DURABLE AND ADJUSTABLE CONTROL LINKAGEControl rods with adjustable ends Plated and adjustable control rods and ends
Control rods and ends are plated to stop rust and corrosion:
- Large pivot points for minimal wear and long life
- Grease fittings to lubricate for continued smooth operation
- Adjustable rod ends for easy and accurate adjustments
Control linkages are positioned tightly to the main frame structure to protect them from damage, such as being bent that could impact the speed and tracking of the unit.
TRANSMISSION SERVICETransmission oil reservoir, W36M shown Replaceable transmission oil filter, W52R shown
Transmission oil reservoirs are easy to access and fill.
The transmission oil filter is a replaceable spin-on type for easy service.
TOW RELEASETransmission tow-release, M Series design Hydraulic bypass valve, R Series design
Transmission tow valves are easy to find and use.
CONVENIENT TIE-DOWN LOCATIONSFront tie-down points Rear tie-down points
- Front and rear tie-down points are provided to aid in transport.
- More-rounded corners contribute to a clean, attractive appearance.
- Greater strength results from eliminating sharp angles where peak loads can cause failure.
Optional mulching attachment for extra convenience
Optional mulching kit and blades (similar design shown)
An optional mulching attachment and special mulching blades are available:
- The high-performance mulching attachment includes formed steel baffles to control the material for superior performance.
- Special mulching blades can also be used when side discharging, though overall cutting performance may be slightly less than with the standard blades.
- The mulching attachment allows for conversion of the mower deck so it can be used to perform the mulching function (grass or leaves).
OPERATING TIPS WHEN MULCHING:
- Mow when grass is dry.
- Observe the one-third rule.
- No more than one-third of the grass blade should be cut off at one time. This allows more efficient mulching and will promote the continued good health of the grass.
- If the desired cut height cannot be achieved by cutting off one-third, or there is clumping of the clippings, it may be required to cut higher, wait a day, then lower the mower and make a second pass.
- Mow at proper intervals, approximately every four to five days.
- Always mow with sharp blades.
- Adjust ground speed to allow the mower deck to process the clippings effectively.
Convenient controls for operator comfort and productivity
Operator station (R Series shown) Compact control console (R Series shown)
All of the controls are located within comfortable reach of the operator. Simplified operation of each control offers superior convenience, productivity, and safety:
- Color-coded and clearly marked levers, switches, and buttons enable simplified operation.
- Bilingual decals in English and Spanish are provided.
- The operator presence system requires that one of the bails must be depressed to operate the unit; the machine must be in neutral and the power take-off (PTO) must be disengaged to start.
- Operator presence control levers are recessed into control handle when engaged, provides a smooth contour and comfortable handle to hold during operation.
- Separate choke and throttle – This takes the guesswork out of choke operation, with less chance of fowling the spark plugs.
- The W61R model with electronic fuel injection (EFI) does not require a choke.
- Electric PTO clutch on the engine powers the mower deck. The PTO switch on the dash is easy to see and use.
- Speed and steering controls are designed for ease of operation.
- Ergonomically designed control configuration on all units gives good operator comfort and leverage while driving.
- A speed-control lever is conveniently located in the center of the console and used to set maximum desired speed.
- Low actuation force is required for operator comfort.
- The neutral lock is spring-loaded for easy release.
A convenient and easy-to-operate switch is located on the console to operate the electric clutch, which powers the mower deck.
PARKING BRAKE (W36M, W48M)Parking brake lever, W48M shown
W36M and W48M parking brake control lever:
- Color coded and located above the console, within easy reach of the operator
- Actuates internal braking mechanism of the transmissions
PARKING BRAKE (W36R, W48R, W52R, W61R)Left brake pawl and color-coded parking brake control Right brake pawl, W48R shown
W36R, W48R, W52R, and W61R parking brake control lever:
- Color coded and located above the console, within easy reach of the operator
- Actuates arm that creates a mechanical locking interference on both drive tires
- Brake pawl located near top of tire to eliminate contact with curbs
A fabricated floating mower deck delivers high-quality cut
W36M mower deck W36R mower deck
John Deere commercial mower decks have always demonstrated quality, performance, and durability. Each commercial walk-behind mower is equipped with a high-quality fabricated mower deck:
- 10-gauge, 0.135-in. (3.42-mm) fabricated steel deck top with added 10-gauge, 0.135-in. (3.42-mm) spindle mounting plate
- 7-gauge, 0.19-in. (4.8-mm) side skirts with reinforcement bar
The fabricated, floating mower deck delivers an extremely high-quality cut in diverse conditions:
- Floating suspension enables the best possible cut
- Reinforced front lower edge gives strength and durability
- Deep-deck design for superior capacity
- Hardened high lift steel blades extend cutting time and increase durability.
- High blade-tip speed of 18,000 fpm (5,486 m/min).
- R Series mower decks (except 36-in. [91-cm]) include a rear wheel for additional anti-scalp and curb climbing protection.
- Adjustable to three height positions to suit the cut height
A high-quality polyethylene deflector gives an excellent finished appearance:
- Wide, formed discharge deflector gives even clipping distribution.
- Large discharge deflector evenly disperses expelled clippings.
Caster wheels with flat-free tires contribute to a smooth, even cutting job:
- Large, flat-free caster wheels carry the mower deck smoothly over the lawn.
- Caster wheels are close to the mower deck to reduce vehicle footprint and turning radius.
- With the wheels less exposed, there is less chance they will get snagged by immovable obstacles, thus improving maneuverability and reducing chance of damage.
MOWER CUT-HEIGHT ADJUSTMENTMower cut-height adjustments Mower cut-height adjustment clip
A floating mower deck has several advantages over a fixed mower deck design:
- Follows ground contour more effectively for a more even cut
- Travels smoothly above the ground with minimal chance of scalping
- Easier to adjust the cutting height
Mower cutting height can be set from 1.5 in. (3.8 cm) to 4.5 in. (11.4 cm) in 0.5-in. (1.3-cm) increments:
- The free-floating deck gives a smoother, more level cut.
- Height-of-cut changes can be made without tools.
- Large handles are provided to facilitate lifting the mower deck for setting the cut height.
- Cut-height adjustment pins have 90-degree bend for easy removal and reinstallation.
Mower deck shields are easily removed with hand knobs for access to the drive belt and other service points:
- Easy-attach belt shields allow quick access for service.
- Hand knobs allow removal of both mower shields, no tools required.
- Greaseable spindles with easy, top access for simplified servicing.
- Spindle grease fittings can be greased with shields in place.
OPTIONAL GRASS CATCHERGrass catcher door Grass catcher installed
The grass catcher is designed to work with 36-in. (91-cm), 48-in. (122-cm), and 52-in. (132-cm) Mower Decks on John Deere Commercial Walk-Behind Mowers:
- Large, 4.4-cu ft (3.5-bu) capacity allows for less stops to empty catcher.
- No mower faceplate is needed. The catcher connects directly to standard mower deck features.
- Stainless steel and aluminum construction is both durable for long life and lightweight for easy handing.
- Convenient sliding door latch enables easy emptying.
- Two large grab handles allow for easy handling.
- Catcher weighs about 30 lb (13.6 kg) empty.
NOTE: The optional mulch and grass catcher attachments are not included in base equipment for the commercial walk-behind mower and must be ordered separately.
V-twin engine delivers smooth operation and plenty of power
Air-cooled engine, right front view Air-cooled engine, left side
Powered by an air-cooled, vertical-shaft engine:
- 14.5 hp (10.8 kW)
- 36.8 cu in. (603 cc)
- Recoil start
- V-twin design for smooth operation and fast starts
- Consistently strong torque at low- or high-speed operation
- Aluminum engine block with cast-iron cylinder liners
- Effectively dissipates heat
- Lightweight and strong construction
- Overhead valve design
- More horsepower and torque per cubic inch of displacement
- Better fuel efficiency
- Less oil consumption
- Cooler operating temperature
- Full-pressure lubrication with full-flow filter
- Reduces engine wear by ensuring proper lubrication, even when operating on hillsides or uneven terrain
- Helps keep oil clean for increased engine life
- Dual-stage air cleaner for extended engine life and efficient operation
- Rotating grass chopper screen
- Cylinder head cleanout ports to ease maintenance
- Air filter and engine cooling fin cleanout ports are easy to access
- Complies with U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) emission standards
FUEL TANKFuel tank and in-line fuel filter
Large, 5.4-gal. (20.4-L) top draw fuel tank is easy to fill with large filler opening in an easy-to-reach location:
- Fuel pump for dependable, consistent operation
- Top-draw system to reduce the chance for fuel leakage
- A replaceable in-line fuel filter for trouble-free operation
|Type||Dynamic braking with hand controls, hand lever to set parking brake|
Great mower! Too many safeties
Had the mower two days now. 7 hours on it. Love it, hydros are smooth, cuts great, two semi complaints so far. #1- too many things to do to pick up a stick. Have too turn blades off, put drive in neutral, lock motion arms, apply parking break. Or the engine turns off. Wish I could just lock the arms or put in neutral. Might be some electrical tape in my future. #2 don’t know why but starts on second pull.?. Price was great. Spent $800-$1000 less than the other brands. 0% for 36. No one handed height adjustment but has a floating deck. Four pins and you’re done. Plenty of power with the 14.5 Kawasaki. Waiting for my mulch kit. Did I say I loved it. Have had an orange and red one, think I like this the best.
- From: Central FL
- Usage Frequency: Daily
- Level of Experience: Expert