Propane conversion kit on a Walk-Behind Mower Propane conversion kit on a ZTrak Mower
John Deere provides application-specific Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and California Air Resources Board (CARB) approved field-installed propane conversion kits for specific John Deere Commercial Walk-Behind Mowers, QuikTrak Mowers, and ZTrak Mowers. The conversion kits include all components required to convert the engines to operate on propane fuel. Single-tank or dual-tank brackets (depending on the vehicle) are provided for securely holding the propane tank(s) to the vehicle.
Propane tanks are not included.
An optional altitude kit is required when operating at altitudes above 2000 ft (610 m). The operator’s manual provided with the propane conversion kit provides further details. Parts must be ordered separately through John Deere Parts.
- Propane is flammable and commonly used as a fuel.
- The molecular formula of propane is C3H8, and it is in the family of liquefied petroleum gases (LP gases). The other LP gases include butane, propylene, butadiene, butylene, isobutylene, and mixtures thereof.
- Propane is commonly available and has proven to be a dependable, safe, economical, and clean-burning fuel. It can be used as household fuel, industrial fuel, and fuel for internal combustion engines. Propane has been used as a fuel since 1910.
- At atmospheric pressure, propane boils at -44°F (-42.2°C), meaning it typically exists as a vapor. However, when contained under pressure, such as in a propane cylinder, it can exist as a liquid.
- Propane is naturally odorless, but includes an additive odorant, usually mercaptan, which gives it a distinct odor.
- Vapor propane is heavier than air, meaning it will settle in low areas such as along the ground or in drains.
Advantages of John Deere propane conversion kits include:
- Reduced fuel costs, up to 30 percent depending on fuel prices
- Lower emissions
- Reduced fuel-system maintenance
- Maintains John Deere warranty
- EPA and CARB certified
- May qualify for national and state rebate and incentive programs. Please visit www.propane.com/commercial-landscape/programs-and-incentives/ for further information.
Propane tank mounting bracket options:
Single propane tank shown on QuikTrak Mower Dual propane tanks shown on ZTrak Mower
Optional tank configurations and sizes are available to provide operators the ability to tailor for run time:
- Commercial Walk-Behind Mowers have only a single-tank mounting option.
- The single-tank bracket is designed for one 20-lb (9.1-kg) or 33-lb (15-kg) Worthington tank.
- QuikTrak Mowers have single-tank and dual-tank mounting options.
- The single-tank, right-side bracket is designed for one 33-lb (15-kg) Worthington tank.
- The dual-tank brackets are designed for two 20-lb (9.1-kg) Worthington tanks.
- ZTrak Mowers have single-tank and dual-tank mounting options.
- The single-tank, left-side bracket is designed for one 33-lb (15-kg) or 43-lb (19.5-kg) Worthington tank.
- The dual-tank brackets are designed for two 33-lb (15-kg) Worthington tanks.
- Tanks are not included.
- ZTrak Mowers with dual-tank configurations are not compatible with any material collection systems.
NOTE: Reference the Propane and Attachment Compatibility Chart to determine tank configurations that are compatible.
Field-installed propane conversion kit compatibility:
NOTE: Conversion to propane is not intended for units with engines having more than 250 hours of use.
Commercial Walk-Behind Mowers
| ||WG Series||WH Series||WHP Series|
|Engine displacement||603 cc||603 cc||603 cc||603 cc||603 cc||603 cc||726 cc||603 cc||603 cc||603 cc||726 cc|
|Propane kit model number||Not available||Not available||Not available||FS603cc||FS603cc||FS603cc||FS726cc||FS603cc||FS603cc||FS603cc||FS726cc|
| ||E Series||M Series||R Series|
|Model ||652E||636M||648M||652M||648R||652R||652R EFI||661R||661R EFI|
|Engine model||FX691V||FS600V||FX691V||FX691V||FX691V||FX730V||ECV740 EFI||FX730V||ECV740 EFI|
|Engine displacement||726 cc||603 cc||726 cc||726 cc||726 cc||726 cc||747 cc||726 cc||747 cc|
|Propane kit model number||FX726cc||Not available||Not available||Not available||FX726cc||FX726cc||Not available||FX726cc||Not available|
Commercial ZTrak Mowers
| ||E Series||M Series ||R Series |
|Model ||Z915E||Z920M||Z925M FF||Z930M||Z945M EFI||Z950M|| Z955M EFI||Z960M||Z930R||Z950R||Z970R|
|Engine model||CV742||FX730V||FCV740||FX801V||ECV850 EFI||FX850V||ECV860J EFI||FX921V||FX801V||FX850V||FX1000V|
|Engine displacement||747 cc||726 cc||747 cc||852 cc||824 cc||852 cc||824 cc||999 cc||852 cc||852 cc||999 cc|
|Propane kit model number||Not available||FX726cc*||Not available||FX852cc*||Not available||FX852cc*||Not available||Not available||FX852cc*||FX852cc*||Not available|
*Not compatible with 48-in. (122-cm) mower decks.
Worthington tanks are manufactured by Worthington Industries, Inc.
Estimated run-time comparison
|Engine displacement ||FS603cc||FS726cc|| FX726cc||FX852cc|
|Average consumption (lb [kg]/hr)||3.9 (1.8)||4.2 (1.9)||4.2 (1.9)||5.8 (2.6)|
|Run time (hours) with 20-lb (9.1-kg) tank||5.1||4.8||4.8||3.4|
|Run time (hours) with 33.5-lb (15.2-kg) tank||Not available||8.0||8.0||5.8|
|Run time (hours) with 43.5-lb (19.7-kg) tank||Not available||10.4||10.4||7.5|