9R 440 Tractor
- John Deere
- 9R Tractors
Find a location to get your local store information and inventory.
Your Preferred StoreChange location Change location
Key Features & Specs
- Engine HP1: 484 Max / 440 hp Rated
- Fully integrated precision ag technology
- e18™ PowerShift Transmission
- Choice of three different cab and visibility packages
1Engine power PS (hp ISO) at max engine power speed (ECE-R120). John Deere Standard RES10080, SAE Standards J1995.
55 or 110 gpm
SCV 4-8 factory installed
- Track width and Tread Spacing N/A
- Transmission e18™ PowerShift with Efficiency Manager
- PTO HP Rated: 335 hp (249 kW)
Max: 484 hp (356 kW)
Rated: 440 hp (324 kW)
- + Expand All
- - Close All
In the field or on the road: adjust steering ratio on-the-go with ActiveCommand Steering (ACS™)
You don’t have to compromise between pinpoint turns in the field and smooth, easy steering during transport – you can have it all with ActiveCommand Steering (ACS), available on all 9R and 9RX Tractors.
ACS lets you choose your steering ratio based on the task at hand. For precise headland maneuvers in the field, choose a tight 3.5 turns lock-to-lock. When you’re done in the field, ACS gives you a full five turns for smoother line-holding during road transport. Variable-effort resistance automatically changes with ground speed; you’ll notice a lighter touch during low-speed, in-field turns, and increased feedback at transport speeds for more comfortable, confident steering over the road. Plus, ACS works seamlessly with AutoTrac™ guidance systems and is compatible with wide and narrow section width tires as well as wide and narrow belts on 9RX models.
The end result? Reduced overall steering effort and fatigue, no drift and no backlash through the hand-wheel, all with the “connected” feel of a traditional steering column system
A range of hydraulic options give you the power and flexibility to take on your toughest applications
Of course, the 9 Series has the hydraulic muscle you need to push, pull, lift, and power your most demanding implements. But thanks to a range of enhancements to the hydraulic system, these tractors can provide that power at lower engine speeds, saving you fuel while still giving your implements the capacity they need. Regardless of model or configuration, the new 9 Series hydraulic system gives you:
- An increase of almost 40 percent in charge pump capacity, from 54-cc to 75-cc, to help maintain a higher flow at lower engine speeds
- A new swash plate angle sensor to monitor hydraulic flow and pressure and adjust engine speed to meet demand
- An integrated hydraulic pump, filter, and priority valve for fewer and shorter lines, reduced pressure loss, fewer flow restrictions, and an extra level of reliability
And if you depend on implements that need continuous hydraulic power, the 9 Series Tractors are available with Intelligent Power Management (IPM). Using dual pumps and advanced sensor and control technology, IPM provides additional engine and hydraulic power for high-demand applications like air seeding up and over hills or through thick, tough soil.
Add in single and dual pump options and a flexible number rear SCVs, and you can configure a powerful, fuel-efficient hydraulic system to meet the demands of your specific operation without paying for capacity you don’t need.
Work at your best with 9 Series Comfort and Convenience packages
When you’re spending dozens of hours per week in the cab, a comfortable operating environment isn’t just an option – the right features, in the right places, let you and your operators work at your best, dawn to dusk and beyond.
The 7, 8, and 9 Series Tractors offer three Comfort and Convenience packages to fit your needs: Select, Premium, and Ultimate. But regardless of which package you choose, you’ll still get the John Deere CommandARM™ console that puts critical controls within easy reach. You’ll get all the storage space you need for drinks, meals, and other stowable items. And you’ll have plenty of outlets to keep your electronics powered.
Comfort and Convenience packages Select Premium Ultimate Seat
- Mechanical controls
- Mechanical lumbar
- 8-degree left-hand and 40-degree right-hand swivel
- Electronic controls
- Pneumatic lumbar
- 25-degrees left-hand and 40-degree right-hand swivel
- Electronic controls
- Pneumatic lumbar
- 25-degree left-hand and 40-degree right-hand swivel
- Adjustable bolsters
- Auxiliary and Bluetooth® wireless inputs
- Four speakers
- 16.5-cm (6.5-in.) touchscreen radio, XM® ready
- Six speakers with subwoofer
- 16.5-cm (6.5-in.) touchscreen radio, XM ready
- Six speakers with subwoofer
Business band ready X X X Four USB and one 12-V outlet X X X Dual tilt column X X X Footrests --- X X Refrigerator --- X X 120-V/300-W three-prong outlet --- X X Carpeted floor mat --- --- X Leather-wrapped steering wheel --- --- X
Bluetooth is a trademark of Bluetooth SIG, Inc. XM is a trademark of Sirius XM Radio Inc.
Put more power to the ground, more comfortably, with the industry-exclusive HydraCushion™ suspension
Power that doesn’t get to the ground is power that’s being wasted. And a bumpy, hoppy ride can quickly drain an operator’s energy and productivity. So to help you get the most from every horse under the hood and every hour in the cab, 9R Tractors in wheeled configurations are available with the advanced, industry-exclusive HydraCushion suspension (HydraCushion is standard equipment on 477-kW [640-hp] models).
Along with a proven-reliable suspension design, HydraCushion suspension uses an advanced system of electronic sensors and hydraulic components to keep the chassis and front differential vertically centered, giving you more consistent contact with the ground while reducing road lope and smoothing out the bumps that cause a rough, tiring ride.
The new 9 Series: Easy to run, easy to maintain
When you’re trying to get a field planted before weather moves in, there’s no time to hit a scheduled maintenance interval or get smacked with an unexpected repair. That’s why we designed the 9 Series for maximum reliability and less in-season maintenance.
To start, we simplified as many systems as possible, using components common to other tractor lines and minimizing potential downtime due to parts availability. Then we eliminated as many potential pain points as possible through changes in the cooling, aftertreatment, and diagnostic systems, including:
- Replacing the fan drive system with a maintenance-free hydraulic fan drive
- Streamlining aftertreatment with a single-canister inline system that’s simpler and features fewer parts
- Improving uptime by adding better descriptions to diagnostic codes and offering predictive diagnostics through John Deere Expert Alerts
- A front-left service panel for easier access to engine oil check and fill points;
- Offering a 500-hour oil change interval on the John Deere JD14 (13.6L/827-cu in.) Final Tier 4 (FT4) engine when using approved John Deere oil and filter.
9 Series Visibility packages let you run with confidence, dawn until dusk
Visibility is more than just lighting. It’s mirrors where you need them, shades for the blinding late-fall and early-spring sun, wipers to help keep all the glass clear, and integrated camera capability. The new 9 Series Tractors let you choose the visibility package that best suits your needs – Select, Premium, or Ultimate with 360-degree light-emitting diode (LED) lighting –so you and your operators can run with all-conditions confidence.
Select Premium Ultimate Lighting 18 halogen worklights 18 LED worklights 24 LED worklights and eight LED convenience lights* Mirrors Mechanical Electric and heated Electric, heated, and telescoping Sunshades Front Front, right-hand side, and rear Front, right-hand side, and rear Wipers Front and rear Front, right-hand side, and rear Front, right-hand side, and rear Cameras Camera ready Camera ready Camera ready**
*Convenience lights illuminate the corners of the cab for easier entry and exit.
** Starting with model year 2022, the Ultimate Visibility package is camera ready.
John Deere integrated solutions: a world of connected technology, right from the factory
John Deere makes it easy for you to access an entire suite of connected applications, all designed to help you make the most of every seed, every hour, every gallon, and every bit of machine-related information.
Each 9 Series Tractor comes standard with the John Deere StarFire™ 6000 Integrated Receiver and Generation 4 CommandCenter™ display; there’s no need for setup, installation, or initial global positioning system (GPS) calibration. Integrated AutoTrac™ assisted steering gives you accurate, scalable guidance for low-stress operation in nearly any conditions and can improve field efficiency by 10 percent or more. The 9 Series Tractors also feature standard JDLink™ telematics and users can turn on connectivity in the John Deere Operations Center for anytime, anywhere access to critical machine and field information. And every tractor comes from the factory with John Deere Connected Support™, so you and your dealer can anticipate and address critical system needs.
From here? The sky’s the limit. Choose any of our operation-specific applications to help maximize efficiency and productivity during planting, tillage, or other field activities.
*NOTE: Ordering is temporarily unavailable for the StarFire 6000 Integrated Receiver. John Deere is diligently working to resolve this issue. Please watch the Price Pages and the announcements in the Sales Manual for updates. We apologize for any inconvenience.
StarFire 6000 Integrated Receiver AutoTrac JDLink
- Generation 4 CommandCenter display
- StarFire 6000 Integrated Receiver
- Generation 4 CommandCenter display plus extended monitor
- AutoTrac activation
- SF3 accuracy (+/- 3 cm [1.2 in.])
- Data Sync
- AutoTrac RowSense™ system*
- AutoTrac Turn Automation**
- AutoPath™ system**
- AutoTrac Implement Guidance*
- Gen 4 Machine Sync
- JDLink telematics system
- Wireless Data Transfer
- John Deere Connected Support service
- Expert Alerts
- Remote Display Access
- Service ADVISOR™ Remote service tool
*Available with Premium Activation 3.0
**Available with Automation Activation 4.0
JD14 (13.6L/827-cu in.) engine: real world usability, not just power on paper
The muscle to handle heavy draft disks and rippers, power-hungry air seeders and planters, and large transport loads like grain carts and slurry wagons. The durable design and heavy-duty components you can depend on when you need to get in and get out. All in a Final Tier 4 (FT4) and Stage V compliant package. You get real-world power with the purpose-built JD14 (13.6L/827-cu in.) engines from John Deere Power Systems, standard in the 291 to 471 engine kW (390 to 640 engine hp) 9 Series Tractors.
We developed our newest power plant from a clean sheet of paper, starting with stronger castings, beefier bearings, and more robust internal components, all designed to meet the high demands of field operations. We replaced the fuel injectors with a high-pressure common rail (HPCR) fuel system and eliminated the diesel particulate filter (DPF) to boost to fuel efficiency and lower operation and maintenance costs. Integrated coolant and oil passages, along with a new belt-driven water pump, eliminate potential leak points and allow for a less-crowded engine compartment, improving serviceability and reducing debris accumulation.
In redesigning the engine, we also gave it:
- Hydraulic valve lash adjusters to maintain valve-lash settings during engine operation, reduce valve train noise and wear, and allow for greater fuel efficiency.
- A hydraulic fan drive for improved cooling capacity with no required maintenance.
- A new integrated wiring harness design featuring a modular layout for reduced vibration, greater reliability, and easier service and diagnostics.
- A rear gear train that integrates fully into the cast-iron block, reducing tiresome engine noise and improving the durability of the crankshaft damper.
- Combination sensors where possible, meaning fewer sensors, connectors, and wires.
- A powerful engine brake that allows operators to use the engine to control tractor and implement speeds while transporting or traveling downhill, reducing wear on the drivetrain brake components.
It all adds up to:
- 14 percent more power and 11 percent more torque
- 3 percent lower fuel consumption
- 10 percent lighter
- 13 percent reduction in mean repair time and an estimated $8,308 savings in service costs over the life of the engine
13.5L (824-cu in.) engine compared to JD14 (13.6L/827-cu in.) engine
Feature 13.5L (824-cu in.) engine JD14 (13.6L/827-cu in.) engine Fuel delivery Electronic unit injectors (EUI) HPCR Aftertreatment Two canisters One canister Valve lash adjustment Manual Automatic Engine brake Not available Available above 402.7 kW (540 hp) Wire harness Single harness Three short harnesses Water pump Gear driven Belt driven Gear train Front mounted Rear mounted Fan drive Vari-Cool™ system Hydraulically driven
NOTE: The PowerTech™ 13.6L (827-cu in.) engine has been renamed the JD14.
|Cooling system||56.5 L
14.9 U.S. gal.
|Diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) tank||120 L
31.7 U.S. gal.
|Transmission-hydraulic system||With 3-point hitch and PTO: 227 L
60 U.S. gal.
Without 3-point hitch and PTO: 220 L
58 U.S. gal.
|Fuel tank||1514 L
400 U.S. gal.
|Crankcase oil volume||64 L
16.9 U.S. gal.