S160 Lawn Tractor
- John Deere
- Riding Mowers / Lawn Tractors 100 Series
Find a location to get your local store information and inventory.
Your Preferred StoreChange location Change location
Key Features & Specs
- 24 hp (17.9 kW)* V-Twin Extended Life Series (ELS) Engine
- 48-in. Edge™ Mower Deck
- Electric PTO, Hydrostatic Transmission w/side-by-side pedals
- Easy Change™ 30-Second Oil Change System
- Adjustable lumbar seat and standard front bumper
- Easy to read fuel gauge with low light visibility
- 2 year/120 hour bumper-to-bumper warranty
- Pricing starts at $3,319.00
- Drive System 2-wheel drive
- Transmission Two Pedal Hydrostatic
- Warranty 2 year/120 hour<sup>1</sup>
- Engine 24 hp*
- Deck 48-in Edge™ Cuttting System
- + Expand All
- - Close All
The Edge™ cutting system gives superior performance
The Edge cutting system has been trademarked to emphasize the advantages of the John Deere mower deck designs. They give superior mowing performance, convenience, and reliability:
- The deep deck design lifts grass for a clean, even cut.
- The smooth underside has no nooks and crannies, preventing grass buildup and evenly dispersing grass clippings.
- The rolled outer edge of the deck provides extra strength and protection.
- Dual-stage E-coat and powder paint coatings provide extra protection from rust.
- Flexible discharge chute minimizes property and mower deck damage.
The 48-in. (122-cm) Edge Mower Deck is a three-spindle design with heavy-duty characteristics:
- The 12-gauge, 0.105-in. (2.7-mm) steel deck provides years of dependable mowing.
- Included three-in-one blades work well for side-discharge, mulching, or bagging.
- The blade-to-spindle design provides a unique mounting system for the mower blade that gives extra safety and convenience.
- Four mower deck wheels are standard equipment for a smooth mowing job in rolling terrain.
- No tools are required to switch from mulching to side discharge to rear bagging.
- A mulching cover is an optional attachment that can be installed without the use of tools.
- High-performance mulching blades are available to enhance mulching performance.
Mower wash port
A wash port is provided to make cleaning the underside of the mower deck easy:
A hose connector is included with mower deck.
StarLock™ blade design
The StarLock blade design keeps the blade bolt at the correct torque for easy removal.
Optional blades for difficult mulching or bagging conditions are available.
A cut-and-throw, 6.5-bu (229-L) bagger is sold separately and comes with bagging blades. Special bagging blades are not required but they can enhance performance.
The bagger kit provides an efficient means of collecting grass clippings and leaves. It can be set up without tools in minutes and has easy-to-empty bags.
Frame made of full-length welded steel for reliability
The solid one-piece frame is constructed of 12-gauge, 0.105-in. (2.66-mm) steel:
- Full-length, robotically welded frame design has high-strength steel rails for added strength and long life.
- One-piece, steel fender deck is bolted to the frame.
Cast-iron front axle will not bend
The front axle is constructed of solid cast iron that will not bend:
- Automotive-like steering system with sector and pinion steering gears and single drag link with a tie rod provides a very strong, low-effort, and tight-turning system.
- Three grease fittings, on both steering spindles and center pivot, allow for regular lubrication to help maintain easy steering and minimize wear.
- Large, 0.75-in. (1.9-cm) diameter wheel spindles provide excellent durability.
Front bumper protects the tractor
The front bumper is included on the S130, S140, S160, S170, and S180. It is available as an optional attachment for the S100, S110, and S120.
- Additional front-end protection
- Attractive, bold style
CargO Mount™ system makes installation of rear bagger and other attachments easy
The CargO Mount system is a combination of front- and rear-mounting points providing convenient and easy installation of the sun canopy, rear bagger, and other attachments.
Hydrostatic transmission gives an infinite choice of ground speeds
A Kanzaki® Tuff Torq® hydrostatic transmission gives an infinite choice of speeds and makes changing the direction of travel easy. Side-by-side foot pedals control the speed and direction of travel:
- Automotive-type accelerator controls ensure easy operation.
- Operator can change direction without lifting foot off the platform.
- Large pedal surface gives superior operator comfort.
Appropriate transmissions are used in each model, depending on rear tire size and tractor performance requirements, to ensure excellent performance and reliability:
- Tuff Torq TLT200 – S100, S110, S120, S130, S140, and S160
- Tuff Torq K46 - S170 and S180
Full-featured engine is more reliable and lasts longer
This full-featured engine is engineered to deliver world-class endurance and power. A step above the competition, it is designed to be more dependable and longer lasting, saving time and money over the long run.
Built to exceed demanding needs by incorporating premium features and innovative designs:
- Overhead valve (OHV) design for cooler operation and longer valve life
- Contains an advanced debris management system that directs cooling air through the rotating screen to the air cleaner compartment, where large debris is pre-filtered through ejector slots
- Keeps unfiltered air out of the engine through a large, dual-sealed, premium oval-shaped cartridge-style filter
- Ensures maximum protection for extended engine life with the premium air cleaner, a pleated paper filter with a foam precleaner
- Captures fine particles for maximum protection and extended maintenance
- Provides maximum protection with full-pressure lubrication system
- Pumps oil by a mechanical gerotor-style pump to all critical engine components
- A premium bearing package for improved durability; includes a super-finished crank pin bearing with a 50 percent smoother surface to increase load capacity by 35 percent
- Uses a premium DU Teflon®-coated bearing
- Helps resist wear and increases durability through self-lubricating bronze bearing
- Wear-resistant, chrome-plated valve stems for long-life valves
- 44 percent smoother for longer life
- Cast-iron cylinder liners for longer life
- Dependable float-feed type carburetor with integral fuel pump
- High-capacity fuel filter for dependable operation
- John Deere Easy Change™ 30-second oil change system makes changing the engine oil easy, quick, and clean
- Maintenance-free electronic ignition for quick, dependable starts
- Platinum spark plugs for extended life
Teflon is a trademark of The Chemours Company.
Engine is powerful and smooth-running V-twin design
A 24-hp (17.9-kW) V-twin extended-life series (ELS) engine provides plenty of power and torque to handle tough mowing, mulching, and bagging:
- Includes ELS engine features for enhanced performance and longer life
- V-twin cylinder design for greater torque, lower vibration, and improved sound quality
- Electronic ignition for fast starts
- Spring-return feature to ensure the operator will not mistakenly leave the throttle lever in the choke position
- Cast-iron cylinder liners for longer engine life
- Overhead valves for excellent power and fuel economy
- Full-pressure lubrication and oil filter for cleaner oil, prolonging engine life and extending the time between oil changes
- More effective when operating the tractor on an incline
- The capacity is 2.4 U.S. gal. (9.1 L).
- The fuel filler opening is conveniently located under the seat.
- Filling the tank without spilling is easy.
- A tethered fuel tank cap is more convenient.
- The sealed fuel cap helps keep vapors inside the tank.
The MowerPlus™ app helps maintain the tractor and lawn
Keep a John Deere lawn tractor running its best and know how it mows with the John Deere MowerPlus app. Simply scan the lawn tractor’s barcode to get custom information. The app helps determine the best time to mow, communicates expert pre-mow tips, offers maintenance reminders, and provides walk-through guides.
Look for the MowerPlus app on the iOS® or Android™ system app stores.
The app supports residential lawn equipment such as 100 Series, 200 Series, X300, X500, X700, Z200 through Z600, and many similarly sized older products. It does not presently support tractor models numbered 1000 and larger, such as 1025R.
NOTE: Some product image variation may exist.
MowerPlus connectors also available (sold separately)
The John Deere MowerPlus connectors wirelessly link a lawn tractor to the MowerPlus app on a mobile device.
Deluxe smart connector Hour meter connector Compatible with lawn tractors
S120, S130, S160, S170, and S180
Model year 2021 and later S240 (SN 880,001- )
S100, S110, S140, S220 Communicates engine usage to track maintenance intervals X X Communicates fuel level and battery health X Compatible with MowerPlus app for iOS® operating system X X Compatible with MowerPlus app for Android™ operating system X
iOS is a trademark of Cisco Technology, Inc. used under license by Apple Inc. Android is a trademark of Google LLC.
Operator station designed for comfortable operation
The operator station is designed for operator comfort and easy operation:
- Controls are positioned where they are easy to reach and use to control the tractor.
- The steering wheel is positioned and angled to give the operator plenty of room and steering comfort.
- The seat is positioned to provide the most comfortable operator position.
Controls are easy to see and use:
- A deluxe, 14-in. (35.6-cm) steering wheel provides greater operator comfort and control.
- Ignition switch is on the dash for starting ease.
Wide footrest areas with non-slip, anti-vibration rubber floor mats are provided for operator comfort:
- The wide footrest makes it easy to step over the mower deck while entering or exiting the seat.
- Debris removing channels help keep the footrest area clean and dry.
Operator comfort is enhanced with a 15-in. (38-cm) high-back, two-piece seat with an open back:
- Especially helpful when operating the tractor for extended periods of time
- Easily adjusted forward or rearward while in the seat
- Seat travel of 5.5 in. (14 cm) and 10 different positions to adjust for operator height
Two long seat springs give plenty of seat travel to smooth out the ride, keeping the operator comfortable while operating the tractor.
The seat can be tilted forward for protection from the elements and to provide easy access to the fuel tank.
A beverage holder and storage compartment, located on the right fender, are conveniently located and easy to use.
Fender flares cover the tires more completely and add style to the tractor. Handgrips give extra comfort for the operator, especially when operating on hillsides. Reflectors make the tractor more visible.
Snow removal is a strength of lawn tractors
An advantage of lawn tractors is their ability to use equipment for snow removal. Lawn tractor owners can add a John Deere snow blower or front blade to make quick work of moving snow whenever the need arises. Weather enclosure and tire-chain attachments add comfort and performance.
Equipment available for snow removal includes:
- 44-in. (112-cm) Snow Blower
- 46-in. (117-cm) Front Blade
- Tire chains or TerraGrip traction belts
- Weather enclosure
Instruments and controls are easy to find and convenient to use
Instruments and controls
The contoured dash has clean, attractive styling:
- Controls are color-coded and labeled for easy identification.
- Controls are logically placed and easy to reach.
- The hour meter makes it easy to tell when oil changes and other maintenance should be performed.
- Functional design of the controls provides good appearance and a comfortable feel.
Easy-read fuel gauge shows fuel level on the dashboard
The easy-read fuel gauge shows how much fuel is in the tank and can be seen on the dashboard:
- Easy to check fuel level
- Convenient location
- Visible in cloudy or dusk conditions (is not backlit)
- Does not slosh from bumps
- The MowerPlus™ smartphone app can read and remember the fuel level (optional MowerPlus deluxe smart connector required)
- The hour meter is also visible on the fuel gauge display
Side-by-side transmission control pedals
Side-by-side foot pedals control the speed and direction of travel:
- Automotive-type accelerator controls ensure easy operation.
- Operator can change direction without lifting foot off the platform.
- Large pedal surface gives superior operator comfort.
Cruise control (S120, S130, S160, S170, and S180)
Cruise control is available on the S120, S130, S160, S170, and the S180:
- To engage, lift the cruise lever and hold until the foot is removed from the forward pedal.
- The cruise control can be released by pushing on the brake pedal or the forward pedal.
Mower deck height adjustment
A spring-assisted, ergonomically designed lift lever simplifies adjusting the mower cut height:
- Increments of 1/4 in. (0.64 cm) allow fine-tuning the cut height.
- Cut height is adjustable from 1 to 4 in. (2.5 to 10.2 cm).
- The lift handle is shaped for easy use and is out of the way of entering or exiting operators.
Parking brake control
The parking brake control is conveniently located on the tractor pedestal for easy access. It holds the brake pedal securely in the locked position.
Electric power take-off (PTO) clutch is easy and convenient
The heavy-duty electric PTO clutch is operated with a convenient dash-mounted switch.
Reverse implement option (RIO)
CAUTION: Children or bystanders may be injured by rotating blades. Before traveling forward or rearward:
- Carefully check the area around the machine.
- Disengage the mower before backing up.
NOTE: Backing up while the mower is engaged is strongly discouraged. RIO should be used only when operating another attachment or when the operator deems it necessary to reposition the machine with the mower engaged.
- Stop forward travel.
- Look behind the machine to be sure there are no bystanders.
- Push and hold in the RIO switch while depressing the reverse pedal slightly.
NOTE: If the engine and mower or other attachment stops while repositioning the machine, return the attachment engagement lever/switch to the off position. Start the engine and engage mower or other attachment. Begin again with step 2.
- Release the RIO switch and reposition the machine as the machine begins to move rearward.
- Resume forward travel. The mower or other attachment should continue operating.
- Repeat procedure to position the machine again.
John Deere Easy Change™ 30-second oil change system
The John Deere Easy Change 30-second oil change system makes changing the engine oil easy, quick, and clean. Changing the oil is as easy as twisting on a new oil-filled filter. Oil does not need to be drained from the engine.
The John Deere Easy Change filter is an additional engine oil reservoir. Changing the filter removes the captured contaminants and replaces about 0.8 qt (0.76 L) of engine oil.
The functionality does not stop with ease of use. The Easy Change oil system has several meaningful benefits over the traditional oil filter system of the 100 Series:
- A synthetic filter material is used for more predictable filtering and longer life.
- Filtering capacity is greater than with a standard oil filter.
- More filter surface area
- More oil flow capacity
- The system has 40 percent more oil volume.
- The oil and engine run cooler.
- The oil filter valve closes whenever the engine stops, so filtered particles are captured and cannot drain back into the engine.
- The risk of spilling during oil service is greatly reduced.
- Waste oil (and new oil production) is reduced by over 1,000,000 lb (453,592.4 kg) per tractor production year.
- This system is not a compromise to just make oil changes easier—these engines pass the same John Deere expectations and rigorous testing as always.
Partly due to these improvements, it is not necessary to remove and dispose of all the oil in the engine during service.
Everyone who uses the John Deere Easy Change system saves time and avoids the mess of a traditional oil change. In the past, many 100 Series Lawn Tractor owners rarely or never got around to changing their engine oil. With the 30-second oil change, even people who previously would not consider changing the oil themselves can easily do it. The Easy Change system is a no-mess, no-fuss solution the competition cannot match.
Installation instructions are in the Operator’s Manual and in the John Deere Easy Change service part box.
Please recycle. Many local government recycling programs, authorized retailers, auto-service centers, and auto-parts stores will puncture and recycle used oil filters and oil.
Two-year or 120-hour bumper-to-bumper warranty is included
An exclusive 2-year or 120-hour single-source, bumper-to-bumper warranty* is included for all John Deere 100 Series Tractors.
The warranty is hassle free, with John Deere handling the service and paperwork.
*Term limited to years or hours used, whichever comes first, and varies by model. See the LIMITED WARRANTY FOR NEW JOHN DEERE TURF AND UTILITY EQUIPMENT at JohnDeere.com or JohnDeere.ca/TUWarranty for details.
Serviceability is convenient with easy-open hood
The one-piece hood opens easily to permit checking and servicing the engine:
- Important service points are located within easy reach.
- A service-interval decal is provided inside the tractor hood for convenience when servicing the tractor.
The John Deere Easy Change 30-second oil change system makes changing the engine oil easy, quick, and clean. Changing the oil is as easy as removing the old oil-filled filter and twisting on a new oil-filled filter.
The seat tilts up and out of the way to make adding fuel easy.
Hood will not rust or dent and includes quality headlights
- Molded-in color material reduces sound and will not rust or dent.
- Same quality hood material as on larger John Deere tractors provides good resilience and UV resistance for an extended time.
- Openings on the side let in plenty of cooling air while keeping the sound level low.
- Two headlights provide good lighting for nighttime operation.
|Notes||Molded-in color material reduces sound, will not rust or dent
Durable primer and powder paint finish
Large, 14-in. (36-cm) steering wheel for more comfortable operation
John Deere Easy Change 30-second oil change system
|Warranty||2 year/120 hour bumper-to-bumper* (*Term limited to years or hours used, whichever comes first, and varies by model. See the LIMITED WARRANTY FOR NEW JOHN DEERE TURF AND UTILITY EQUIPMENT at JohnDeere.com or JohnDeere.ca/TUWarranty for details.)|
Good Mowing, but First Round and Already Issues
We got this machine about two weeks ago and used it for the first time yesterday. Weird device. First, no way to adjust the seat which makes it absurd for both me being short and my boyfriend being tall. To start it, I have to slide to the edge of the seat, stretch way down and press the brake super hard. When it starts, it backfires/sparks. It does not mow backwards without you using a hand to hold down the button which means you cannot also use that hand to raise and lower the deck. Finally got through a few hours of mowing and the wheels just stopped turning. No idea why, not stuck and starts. Likely a return. Real pain in the butt so far. Definitely not in the JD class of our 3025 tractor.
- From: Florida
- Level of Experience: Intermediate